The first tramway, the Bilbao - Las Arenas line, appeared in Vizcaya in 1872, but shortly afterwards, in 1876, it was followed by the left-bank stretch, the Bilbao - Santurtzi line. It is this line that became the first Spanish electrical stretch that we can see today: the cleanest, most silent, environment-friendly and efficient means of transport.
After a continuous development concomitant with the effects of the industrial revolution, by 1920 Bilbao's tramway network stretched over 109 km, with Arenal as the key centre of the 12 existing lines. Subsequent crises, however, led to the disappearance of the tram in 1964, replaced by the more modern trolleybus, or electric bus. .
In late 2002, almost four decades after the last tram went along Bilbao's streets and after three years of remodelling works, the legendary bell began to ring again, bringing the village back into the era of modern, sustainable and environment-friendly public transportation.
The line has been gradually extended to cover an area linking Atxuri to Basurto, with a central stretch across Abandoibarra district -the new leisure area in the village- and stops in some of Bilbao's architectural landmarks, such as the Arriaga Theatre, the Guggenheim Museum, the Euskalduna Palace or the San Mamés Football Stadium
For further information:
902 543 210
There is a customer service centre at Atxuri station.